July 6, 2020

Please reload

Recent Posts

Home and dry!

June 24, 2017


Allow me to introduce my new best friend! David Campbell saved my life, when he pulled me out of the water after a kayaking incident off the south coast of the Sleat peninsula of Skye. I set off from Breakish around 9am, paddling through rough water until after the Skye Bridge. I continued past Castle Moil and around the Kyleakin headland. On expert advice, I kept to the centre of the channel until I passed the Glenelg ferry and then moved in closer to the Skye side as the straits broadened.


After a comfort break in Kylerhea, I embarked on what I expected to be the final leg of a 35k paddle to Eilean Iarmain. I allowed myself a shortcut, which took me across a wide bay, further out from the shore than I planned. Suddenly the wind swung around to the southwest and whipped up the water all around me. My balance deserted me and, with it, my ability to roll up and so I pulled myself out of the boat and prepared to swim ashore. At this stage I felt fine and, wearing all the appropriate safety gear, I was confident that, having sorted myself out on the shore, I would carry on and make my rendezvous with Annice, especially as I was well ahead of time. Within a few minutes a fishing boat skippered by Neil Robertson pulled alongside, offering to take me to Kyleakin. When I declined, Neil agreed to tow me towards the shore. On account of the tide and underwater obstacles, this took longer than I expected but, when the time came to cast off and complete the swim on my own, I still felt strong.


I noticed two figures on the shore, one of whom was wading out to help me. I discovered later that local residents, David and Janette Campbell, had been alerted by a friend in the wildlife hide above the village. As I approached David, still clutching my kayak, paddle and a croc which had come off my foot, I was getting entangled in seaweed and that is the last thing I recall, until coming to again, surrounded by the combined forces of Kyle Coastguard and Stornoway Air Ambulance! According to David, whom I visited a couple of days later, I had succumbed to hypothermia, obliging him to launch into the water and come to my aid. For a moment he feared the current would sweep us both out to sea and, having lost a great uncle off the coast of Islay in similar circumstances, I can appreciate the danger we were both in. However, by God's grace, he prevailed and landed me, kayak and all!


Richard Talbot, a volunteer with the Kyle Coastguard, informed me that I was being flown to Raigmore Hospital in Inverness. "Can I not just go home?" I protested weakly. Within fifteen minutes I was being wheeled in to A&E and, after three hours under blankets and connected to a spaghetti junction of tubes and drips, I was pronounced fit to return home, courtesy of my dear wife, Annice, who drove all the way to collect me.


In reflection, I am profoundly grateful to God and for the many kind people through whom he rescued me, especially David who risked his own life in order to save mine. I am also full of admiration for the alacrity and professionalism of our rescue services. And as Andrew Rowland, the doctor who treated me, remarked on my release from hospital, I have come away with plenty of sermon illustrations!

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Please reload


© Strath and Sleat Church of Scotland     |     Registered charity number: SC001285